April 15 – 18 was the National Radio Camp. This camp, held at Gilwell Park and run by the Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit, was for Scouts with the following activities available:
- Amateur Radio Theory & Practical Workshops
- Antenna Building – Build a working antenna to take home and use!
- Fox Hunting
- Shack Attack – Play in a real radio shack and talk to the world!
- Ham Radio Mobile on one of Melbourne’s Famous Attractions!
- AND the opportunity to walk away with your Amateur Radio Foundation Licence
The camp went exceptionally well and the final activity of working ‘train mobile’ from Melbourne’s tourist steam train, Puffing Billy, is an activity I’m sure will be remembered for a long time.
I was fortunate enough to give after dinner presentations on QSL cards, Contesting and propagation prediction software, whilst other presenters talked about WIA and D-Star.
I also worked the camp station VK3SCG from home as I was unable to get time off work to attend the whole camp.